[Freedombox-discuss] Some notes on the disk space situation on FreedomBox 0.2

Nick Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 17:22:18 UTC 2014

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> writes:

> When Bdale switched on the option to store the source of all the
> installed packages in /usr/src/packages/ to prepare for the release
> build, the disk space situation on the freedombox changed dramatically.
> I believe we need to increase the image sizes by almost one GiB to cope.
>
> On my freshly created virtualbox image, the root file system is 2.7 GiB
> according to df -h, and 1.9 GiB (74%) of this is used.  Only 692 MiB is
> available according to df (5% is reserved for user root and not included
> in that number).
>
> According to apt-get, installing owncloud will use 973 MiB of additional
> disk space, which clearly will not fit in 692 MiB.

Per James's work [0], we can now install owncloud without the
recommends, reducing owncloud's install size (to around 70 MiB, if I've
mathed correctly).  However, it may still be time to increase the image
size to 4 GiB.  I believe that would still fit on the default DreamPlug
microSD card, of 4 GB.  Now seems like a fine time to upsize the image,
though I'm very wary of doing so much further.

Thoughts?

Nick

0: https://github.com/NickDaly/Plinth/pull/61