[Freedombox-discuss] Switch to btrfs on the Freedombox?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Nov 19 10:43:06 UTC 2014

[Leen]
> Hi Peter,

Hi. :)

(Peter is my fifth cousin. :)

> Let me first say I think it's awesome what you are doing.

Thank you.

> People working with btrfs is very useful. I've been following btrfs
> mailinglist on and off to see if I can use it for some kind of
> production use.

Glad to have you on board.  I do not follow the btrfs mailing list, only
test it once in a while. :)

> But let me point out that these errors can still occur:
>
> "And btrfs can automatically allocate data and metadata chunks on demand
> -- the catch is that it can't automatically unallocate
> chunks on demand[1], a balance is required for that"
>
> [1] Yet.  There's patches circulating that once thru discussion and
> merged, should let btrfs automatically handle at least the normal cases
> of data/metadata chunk imbalance.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/39800/focus=39943

Sad to hear that.  Is there any way we can work around it on the
FreedomBox side?

I hope we can get btrfs (or zfs) working out of the box with FreedomBox.
But if not, we can drop the '--roottype btrfs' from the vmdebootstrap
argument list and be back where we started.  The change is at least at
the moment not intrucive.  It will be intrusive if we start to use
snapshots and volume management, but we are not there yet.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen