[Freedombox-discuss] Switch to btrfs on the Freedombox?

Craig Barnes cjbarnes18 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 14:10:15 UTC 2014

On 19 November 2014 at 10:43, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> [Leen]
>> Hi Peter,
>
> Hi. :)
>
> (Peter is my fifth cousin. :)
>
>> Let me first say I think it's awesome what you are doing.
>
> Thank you.
>
>> People working with btrfs is very useful. I've been following btrfs
>> mailinglist on and off to see if I can use it for some kind of
>> production use.
>
> Glad to have you on board.  I do not follow the btrfs mailing list, only
> test it once in a while. :)
>
>> But let me point out that these errors can still occur:
>>
>> "And btrfs can automatically allocate data and metadata chunks on demand
>> -- the catch is that it can't automatically unallocate
>> chunks on demand[1], a balance is required for that"
>>
>> [1] Yet.  There's patches circulating that once thru discussion and
>> merged, should let btrfs automatically handle at least the normal cases
>> of data/metadata chunk imbalance.
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/39800/focus=39943
>
> Sad to hear that.  Is there any way we can work around it on the
> FreedomBox side?
>
> I hope we can get btrfs (or zfs) working out of the box with FreedomBox.
> But if not, we can drop the '--roottype btrfs' from the vmdebootstrap
> argument list and be back where we started.  The change is at least at
> the moment not intrucive.  It will be intrusive if we start to use
> snapshots and volume management, but we are not there yet.
>
> --
> Happy hacking
> Petter Reinholdtsen

Hi All,

I've managed to get my dreamplug happy with btrfs,  I did need to
adjust one of the vmbuilder patches to get it working though.

1st I tried to set @ subvolume as the default, but for some reason all
was installed in top.

I suspect that I'll need to look at the uboot setup to get the @
subvolume to mount correctly.  I do have a jtag but should this be a
dependency for using freedombox on a dreamplug?

--
Craig