[Freedombox-discuss] Quick report from GETD

Markus Sabadello markus at projectdanube.org
Sun Apr 5 15:46:05 UTC 2015

Am 4/5/2015 um 8:08 AM schrieb Melvin Carvalho:

> On 5 April 2015 at 15:58, Markus Sabadello <markus at projectdanube.org
> <mailto:markus at projectdanube.org>> wrote:
>

>     Am 4/5/2015 um 2:36 AM schrieb Melvin Carvalho:
>>

>>     On 5 April 2015 at 05:28, Markus Sabadello
>>     <markus at projectdanube.org <mailto:markus at projectdanube.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         We used Henry's server:
>>         https://github.com/read-write-web/rww-play
>>
>>         It seems a bit heavy for a little box and could probably be
>>         optimized a bit, but in general it worked very well for us.
>>         I am interested in trying GOLD as well! They should be
>>         compatible, right..
>>

>>     Thanks, I know that repo.
>>
>>     Yes GOLD is compatible with LDP.  It passes all the tests on the
>>     spec.  For those that dont know LDP stands for "Linked Data
>>     Platform".  Linked Data is pseudonym for semantic web / web of
>>     data / web3.0 etc.  The "Platform" is essentially a web server
>>     that exposes a file server to the web, with some meta data,
>>     modeled on the UNIX principles.  It became a W3C recommendation
>>     about 1 month ago, and has about 10 different implementations,
>>     and an interoperability test suite.
>>
>>     GOLD it also has a few other features such as support for
>>     websockets, to allow realtime updates, modular authentication,
>>     access control lists and JSON LD.  In some sense it's pre
>>     guessing what will go into the next version of the spec, but
>>     given that it's coming from Tim Beners-Lee's team at MIT, and Tim
>>     is director of the W3C those guesses should be quite good ones.
>>
>>     GOLD was a complete rewrite of the PHP version, written in Go for
>>     performance and async properties.  It runs on a raspberry pi
>>     quite well Im told.  We're starting to see the first alpha apps
>>     for this platform, and Im encouraged.  Apps are generally modular
>>     100% client side JS apps, that can run from any location,
>>     including your own storage / file system, giving you extra
>>     control and freedom.  We'd like to converge with friendly
>>     projects such as unhosted and owncloud, and communication
>>     channels are open, but realistically convergence takes time.
>>
>>     One thing I have not worked out for freedombox is how to connect
>>     my storage to the web e.g. using dynamic dns over https.  If
>>     anyone has a solution to this, or any ideas, I'd be interested to
>>     hear.
>
>     We re using PageKite, FreedomBox already supports that.
>     And once Let's Encrypt is ready, https shouldn't be a problem either.
>

> Thanks, Im really excited about letsencrypt, as I understand it we can
> test in around 1 month from now, so currently Im slightly in waiting
> mode.

Yes that's what I heard too.
> I have the domain myfbx.com <http://myfbx.com> which I used to run
> with HTTP with my freedom box using dyndns.  But now the server I run
> is on HTTPS and most dyndns services dont offer HTTPS at entry level.
>
> I'm slightly confused about how pagekite works with HTTPS.  On the
> site it says:
>
> "Trial period: *31 days* & *2.5 GB"
>
> *
> OK, so I probably wont use 2.5GB in a month.  But Im trying to
> understand why is there a limit there, and is there any way to avoid
> it?  I dont mind paying for a service, but just want to understand
> what im paying for...

PageKite is both the name of the software (open source), and the name of
the company offering you the software as a service.
So instead of paying the company, you can also just run PageKite on your
own server for free, if you have one, and connect your FreedomBox to it
so it gets a public IP and DNS.

With HTTPS, the TLS connection can either terminate at the PageKite
server, or at your box, both is possible, the latter is obviously
preferable.