[Freedombox-discuss] Multitasking for humans (was: Manual: Apps definition)

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Wed Dec 16 20:27:22 UTC 2015

Dietmar <ndcdhimdsa at gmx.de> writes:

> my apologies for the brief mails I sent during the day, I have been
> trying to do multitasking at work, which ended in not being precise in
> my thoughts.

Wikipedia's <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_multitasking>
article is a good overview of what we currently know about human ability
to multitask.

In brief: Multitasking wastes a *lot* of time in switching contexts,
robs us of the ability to focus or learn, and leads to much higher rates
of error, frustration, and unhappiness.

I hope you find better ways to work, including a routine that includes
long periods of focussed attention to tasks and uninterrupted thinking
time.

--
 \           “I’ve been an atheist ever since I heard there was only a |
  `\                     stairway to heaven.” —Stella Young, 1982–2014 |