[Freedombox-discuss] Usable, affordable, oswh hardware with up-to-date kernel support?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Feb 5 17:01:47 UTC 2015

Quoting Jens Thiele (2015-02-05 17:11:36)
> Pieter van der Eems <pieter at eemco.nl> writes:
>> Triggerd bij the discussion about the rpi-2 I started looking for a
>> new board to use as a server. I looked at the FreedomBox
>> TargetedHardware
>> (https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware, thanks for the
>> link, Its' very hard to find a oshw list using duckduckgo).
>>
>> The only board that are oshw complaint on that list are the OLinuXino
>> boards and the Radxa Rocks. They also supply direct ethernet and
>> sata. So far so good. Here comes the problem though, non of these
>> sbc's has an up-to-date kernel, 3.4 is the best these things can do.
>
> regarding OLinuXino:
> mainline kernel and u-boot support is still wip.
> I happily use 3.19 + some small patches to kernel and u-boot to get
> lcd output with olinuxino a20 micro/lime2+lcd7/lcd10
>
> for details please see:
> http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

Status is *not* same for OLinuXino A13 and OLinuXino A20 boards.

Status is *not* same for mainline Linux and Linux in Debian testing.

I believe (unverified - based on changelog notes) that at least some
OLinuXino A13 boards are supported in the kernel now in Debian testing.