[Freedombox-discuss] Intel Compute Stick

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 21:38:47 UTC 2015

On 13 January 2015 at 14:46, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> Hi Melvin,
>
> Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2015-01-13 10:57:04)
> > I was wondering if this could be a candidate for a freedom box device?
> >

> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html
> >
> > Rumoured to be around $150
>
> To me it is unsuitable for a FreedomBox: It lacks ethernet.

Fair enough. In truth, I completely missed that, sorry!

Though the fbx ive run in the past was based on wifi.

> Adding USB-based ethernet is not an option IMO: Quality of that is bad.
> We have plenty of good options, so I see no reason to consider bad ones.
>
> How do you find this option better than (or on par with) the 59
> currently at <https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware>?

This page passed me by, great work.  I dont find this option better.
However with intel's economy of scale I wonder if it could push prices down.

> Is it that architecture is AMD64?  Is it the confidence that Intel is a
> big company?  Is it the form factor?  Or perhaps you see it as a
> _benefit_ that it does not include ethernet?  Why do you suggest it?

Main reason is that it was trending in a few places.  I do like the form
factor, but the reservations pointed out make a whole lot of sense.

Apologies if this came across as spam, wil try and do my homework better
next time, thanks for the pointers!