[Freedombox-discuss] Let's decentralize: Hardware recommendations

f fgro at riseup.net
Tue Nov 3 17:53:32 UTC 2015

Dear Freedombox people.

A few weeks ago I had the honor to meet a Freedombox developer and
now I'm really eager to run an instance of my own.

As I understand Freedombox runs on any machine that runs Debian.

Nevertheless I really like the idea of using a single board computer due
to its low energy consumption and small form factors  (i.e. as
recommended on the Freedombox homepage Cubietruck / Cubieboard3).

Having never used such a device before what are your experiences in
terms of performance with these small machines? What do I need to be
aware of, especially when running  multiple services? As I would like to
run / help to get to run the Diaspora app on Freedombox I'm thinking
more power (cpu/ram) is probably better than less.

Also, is the following list still up to date and which one of these
machines can you recommend?

https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware

Another thing that is new to me is OpenHardware. What makes open
hardware open? The documentation? Anything in particular that I should
be aware of?

Thank you very much for you feedback.

Fred