[Freedombox-discuss] Wiki content proposals

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Nov 8 09:51:55 UTC 2015

[Philippe Baret]
> Petter,
>
> i have a goal in mind regarding translated manual, it is experiencing
> open content. Being not familiar to Debian and free software culture, I
> understand that most of the time it is not magical and demands efforts,
> that a few are doing a lot, the openness leaving opportunities to
> unexpected contributions. I don't know.

I did not quote understand what you mean here.

> Another criterious : the manuel is in development, seeking content for
> both users and developers. According to FreedomBox goal, easyness for
> users is very important. It can (may be) lead to creativity, that is
> what the following document intends to do with a fragmented shape :
> https://wiki.debian.org/fr/FreedomBox/Manuel

How do you plan to keep this French edition in sync with the English
version on <URL: https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual >?

I believe trying to maintain a translation as wiki pages disconnected
from the original in development is going to lead to outdated
translations and incorrect texts in the translation.  I strongly
recommend maintaining translations using PO files instead.

> Regarding Plinth, translation has started on Github
> https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/tree/bcb26cc52c9048501e3cfa1098de98df4a4b75af/locale

Very good that it is using PO files.

> It may need later transifex.com or traditionnal debian translation
> tools (that i am not fully aware of, i'll check), if the process is
> more crowded with more langages going, i am not in the decision
> process here

We experienced in the Norwegian Debian Edu translation team that using
git and PO files directly were a very high bar of entry for
non-technical contributors.  Using Transifex as the editor removed the
fear of git conflicts and allowed several to work on the same texts
without any problems.  Any shared web editor for PO files would work.
There are several, with widely different user interfaces and ease of
use.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen