[Freedombox-discuss] System Diagnostics and Tor Control Panel: Expected output and status?

Sunil Mohan sunil at medhas.org
Mon Oct 5 18:29:58 UTC 2015

On 10/04/2015 08:56 PM, Ralf Barkow wrote:
> Dear freedombox-discuss list members
>
> I think I might currently best contribute something to the FreedomBox
> project in the field of technical documentation in order to create
> confidence in the devices created with it.

Welcome to the FreedomBox community!

> At the beginning I try to find out if my box is configured correctly.
> I would love to collect input for a guide on how to bring back the
> device into a working state.
>
> So, I'm looking for information regarding troubleshooting, i.e., the
> expected status of a FreedomBox, its diagnostic test results looked at
> by means of plinth, and input for step-by-step instructions to get a
> FreedomBox back into expected state.
>
> To start with the Tor Control Panel, what is the expected status? "Tor
> is not running"? And, what is the expected output of the system
> diagnostic test?

When Tor is not running, usually this is because Tor is disabled.
Diagnostics should show all the tests failing.  If Tor is enabled and
the daemon is not running, a possible fix is to disable it and re-enable
it.  If that does not fix it, it could be because of botched update,
disk space problem, manual configuration error, etc.  The best way to
proceed then is to login to the machine using SSH and see the log
messages for Tor.  Is this the kind of information you are looking for?

--
Sunil