[Freedombox-discuss] DynDNS password eaten

Bob Mottram bob at robotics.uk.to
Fri Apr 22 08:51:44 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 06:40:20AM +0530, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
>On 04/21/2016 12:57 PM, mray wrote:
>> I can't reach my FreedomBox from the outside anymore, DynDNS fails me.
>> After an automatic update to Plinth 0.9.1 all applications that I used
>> seemed to be uninstalled. I managed to setup everithing but DynDNS.
>
>All the applications showing an install dialog again is due to a large
>change in new release that we did to the way setup happens in Plinth.
>Although annoying, this should not cause any loss of functionality or
>stopping of running services.
>

>> It worked before, and I mde sure the password I provide is right. Maybe
>> the password does not get saved correctly (was an issue at some time ago!)
>>
>> What could be going on? I'm glad for helpful directions.
>
>Daniel Steglich worked on fixing this problem and I reviewed the fixes
>to work fine.  These patches (and all other patches) were indeed
>committed in 0.9.1.
>
>Did you try setting values in Dyanmic DNS page freshly?  If that does
>not work, perhaps we are seeing a new problem or a regression.  Could
>you please open an issue?

I don't know if it's set up on fbx, but one way to get around DDNS
issues is to have an onion address for ssh. If all else fails you'll
still be able to ssh to the system and diagnose the problem.

On the client:

    sudo apt-get install tor connect-proxy
    echo 'Host *.onion' >> ~/.ssh/config
    echo 'ProxyCommand connect -R remote -5 -S 127.0.0.1:9050 %h %p' >> ~/.ssh/config
    ssh username at address.onion