[Freedombox-discuss] owncloud

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:11:31 UTC 2016

On 25 April 2016 at 11:03, francois at avalenn.eu <francois at avalenn.eu> wrote:

> After various consideration about Owncloud, syncthings, seafile and
> others,
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 11:26:18PM +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > Perhaps it would be interesting to consider the emerging work from Tim
> > Berners-Lee's team around Solid (Social Linked Data)
> >
> > https://github.com/solid/solid
> >
> > The idea is to create decentralized storage system (for documents and
> data)
> > which is both readable and writable, and layer on top of that social
> > functionality.
>
> How does it compare to camlistore ? http://camlistore.org

Camilstore is a cool system.  But as far as I know it treats resources a
blobs.  Solid is web compliant and has mime types for image, audio, html,
json, data etc. (data being the important addition)

Otherwise quite similar.

Solid also has a permissions system, and is as standards compliant as
possible.