[Freedombox-discuss] Re-SOLVED: Unattended updates not running

znoteer at hailmail.net znoteer at hailmail.net
Wed Oct 5 12:48:02 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016, at 18:09, znoteer at hailmail.net wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016, at 23:52, znoteer at hailmail.net wrote:

[...]
> So, I changed it to stretch, and figured that was the end of that.
> Checking on it today, however, I had to do a whole bunch of upgrades.
> It doesn't look like my log listing has changed since that last time I
> posted it in this thread.  The most recent files with data in them are
> from September 10:

I finally figured this out with help from the channel #debian on IRC.
The file /etc/cron.daily/apt was missing.

This file belongs to apt.  However, it is not part of the .deb for
version 1.3, which I am running.  A guy on #debian, also running apt
1.3, confirmed that /etc/cron.daily/apt wasn't present on his system.
Another guy running apt 1.0 did have the file on his system.

Does anyone know why this apparently essential script is not part of the
apt 1.3 .deb?  Apt 1.3 does have the script /etc/cron.daily/apt-compat,
but it does not appear to do the job.

I was provided a copy of the script from apt 1.0.  I installed it on my
freedombox yesterday, and this morning unattended-upgrade ran at last.

I hope this helps someone,

znoteer

  znoteer at hailmail.net

--