[Freedombox-discuss] Google DNS in BIND?

Marc Draco marcdraco at protonmail.com
Sun Dec 3 21:45:24 UTC 2017

At the risk of sounding like a broken record with a vendetta against the big G (I have, but that's another thing entirely) I wonder if it's possible to replace Google's DNS with a different resolver for the default when BIND is installed.

As Google is one of the worst offenders in this area (last I checked it wasn't using BIND for its DNS services and is using it to spy on users) perhaps it would be prudent to use another upstream resolver. Which? I have no idea and I'm not qualified to make that decision but surely there must be others which are more ethical?

I know it's a simple case of popping the IP4 addresses in and hitting update - that's no biggie, but it seems to me that anything we can do to keep unethical, cheating big data out of Freedombox the better. Darn, I'm starting to sound like RMS! I'll be growing a beard and picking my feet next! :)