[Freedombox-discuss] Plinth v0.13.1 released

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Thu Jan 26 01:57:50 UTC 2017

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2017-01-25 23:34:46)

> Congratulation with the new release.  :)
>
> One thing about the setup made me wonder:
>
> [James Valleroy]
> > - Split Chat Server (XMPP) app into Chat Server (ejabberd) and Chat
> > Client (jsxc).
>
> Given a few recent blog posts[1,2,3], I wonder if perhaps it make
> sense to replace ejabberd with prosody.  Anyone know more?  I do not
> know much about XMPP myself. I've been testing the xmpp server on
> debian.org the last few days, and the amount of spam messages worries
> me.  Will a FreedomBox XMPP server have the same problem?

The recent blog posts are essentially about configuring a Jabber server
to support the features of the Android-based Jabber client
Conversations.

Such configuration is possible to do with both Ejabberd and Prosody, so
I fail to see the reason for switching based on that.  Makes sense to
identify the comparable changes needed for Ejabberd and apply those.

I believe the debian.org Jabber server runs Prosody, and you point out
that that setup is known to have problems handling spim.  Possibly
Ejabberd has similar problems (I have run a couple of ejabberd systems
for several years without experiencing a single spim but that might
simply be because I am not as exciting a target as debian.org). I fail
to see the reason for switching to a server known to have issues with
spim.