[Freedombox-discuss] Manual upgrade to Debian 9 ?

znoteer at mailbox.org znoteer at mailbox.org
Tue Jun 20 21:53:46 UTC 2017

Hi Pierre,

> Le 20 juin 2017 à 09:51, "Pierre L." <petrus at miosweb.mooo.com> a écrit :
>
> Hey!
>
> Debian 9 is here, and new stable image builds too announced today on

[snip]

> - is there a way to migrate my "production" Freedombox to the current
> "stable" release ?
> I remember reading everywhere about stable desktop/server Debian
> installs, editing /etc/apt/sources.list,
> and replacing "jessie" by "stretch" on all lines, then
> apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
> and it will upgrade current Debian 8 to Debian 9...

I've done as you describe on Intel, AMD and ARM devices.  But, only after reading the documentation.  I got the following paragraph from this news release:

https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170617

"Upgrades to Debian 9 from the previous release, Debian 8 (codenamed Jessie), are automatically handled by the apt-get package management tool for most configurations. As always, Debian systems may be upgraded painlessly, in place, without any forced downtime, but it is strongly recommended to read the release notes as well as the installation guide for possible issues, and for detailed instructions on installing and upgrading."

Release notes:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/releasenotes

Installation guide:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/installmanual