[Freedombox-discuss] Power on failure

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Tue Apr 24 07:34:04 BST 2018

On Tuesday 24 April 2018 07:11 AM, Randy Griffiths wrote:
> I'm new to FreedomBox and am struggling to find help.  I successfully
> installed the FreedomBox software onto a Lime2 a few days ago without
> any issues and installed some apps. I received a box enclosure for the
> Lime2 today,  so I shut down the FreedomBox through the web interface
> and then unplugged the power cord and ethernet cable so I could put the
> board into the box. After the board was enclosed I plugged in the
> ethernet cable from the router and then the power cord.  The red light
> by the power jack came on but the lights above the ethernet jack did not
> come on.  I do not see the FreedomBox as a connected device on my router
> and cannot access the FreedomBox through a web browser from
> https://freedombox.local.
>
> What am I missing?  I'm not sure if this has already been covered by
> this list.  Is there a way to search the list?

For me the network lights usually blink within a second of providing
power when the Ethernet cable is connected.

I have had cases where I connect the power to my Lime2 and it does not
power on. When I disconnect and reconnect the power, it usually works. I
 guess this might be due to a poor power supply or too many devices
connected via USB. I could be wrong.

Also, I debug these cases by connecting a USB-serial connector. If there
are no boot messages related to u-boot on the serial console, then it
has to do with hardware but if the boot gets hung somewhere, we can
identify and fix the issue.

I believe latest version of the Linux kernel also have HDMI out for A20
SOCs. It is worth connecting Lime2's HDMI port to a monitor and see what
is happening.

Make sure the SD card is still intact after you put the Lime2 in the box.

Also, make sure that the box (which could be metallic) is not a problem
when it shorted contacts on the board.

If this is hardware related, Olimex support forums can help you better.

--
Sunil