[Freedombox-discuss] How do we encourage public adoption of Freedom Box

Elena ``of Valhalla'' valhalla at trueelena.org
Tue Jul 3 12:39:27 BST 2018

On 2018-07-03 at 00:20:28 +0200, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> I wonder weather Eben Moglen uses FreedomBox and what does he think of it.
> I also wonder why FreedomBox is all about self-hosting, but it does not
> host itself.

Well, AFAIK FreedomBox does not include development tools as a high
priority for their target, so it makes sense that they are using such
tools provided by another - ethically compatible - project.

I'm not really involved with FreedomBox (other than reading this
mailing list), however, so I may be wrong.

> Who can guaranty that one day
> Microsoft
> will not acquire Debian as it acquired Ubuntu and GitHub?

there is no entity that Microsoft can acquire that would give them
control over Debian.

Debian itself is not even a legal entity; as a project it is made of
individuals who agree to follow an ethical code (the Social Contract
already posted). Controversial decisions are taken by the community of
developers according to democratic rules (routine technical ones are
taken by the few people involved)

Taking control of enough Debian Developers would be an interesting
exercise of mass corruption (we're talking of gaining the vote of
hundred of individuals in different countries, many of which have pretty
strong ethical committments and/or good paying jobs (both of which make
them harder to buy)).

Of course, as soon as news of this would come out, people would stop
trusting Debian, and thus all of the value gained from such an exercise
would be lost.

Debian does have some assets: legally these belong to a number of
Trusted Organizations; many of those are charities according to the laws
of their respective countries, and thus protected by law from being
acquired by a for-profit company.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Treasurer/Organizations

Gaining control over those assets would not give any control on the
project itself, anyway; TOs have no voting rights in Debian.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''