[Freedombox-discuss] Should the box support social network based on Solid?

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Sun Jul 8 16:43:03 BST 2018

Quoting Daddy (2018-07-08 16:40:57)
> Bit of an ad-hominem off-topic rant, sorry:
>
> Whenever I see his name, I don't see man who "invented the web" but an
> advocate for DRM
> <https://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/tim_bernerslee_approves_web_drm_w3c_member_organizations_have_two_weeks_appeal>
> first.
> I don't believe he would produce anything Debian-worthy - but I'll be
> very happy to be proven wrong.

Well, EME - the DRM sandboxing framework which TimBL endorse, _is_
Debian worthy: See e.g. https://bugs.debian.org/837091

EME is not endorsed by FSF, however: See e.g.
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
which includes this passage:

> For instance, a free system distribution must not contain browsers
> that implement EME, the browser functionality designed to load DRM
> modules.

Speaking of which: It seems to me that recent builds of GNUzilla IceCat
come with EME support too, which I suspect it unintended. If someone
reading this is using GNUzilla IceCat, please test the DRM demos at
<https://demo.castlabs.com/> - if a popup appears suggesting to download
a DRM plugin then EME is supported on that browser too.