[Freedombox-discuss] search engine Yacy

Joseph Nuthalapati njoseph at thoughtworks.com
Fri Jul 13 11:11:03 BST 2018

Just adding my 2 cents regarding heavy applications.

I personally think that we shouldn't shy away from integrating
heavy applications into FreedomBox, especially if they are really
popular. Popularity can be an important factor sometimes. A user
who already knows how to use MediaWiki or Wordpress would like to
have them on their self-hosted home server instead of a
light-weight solution that they have to learn how to use all over
again. It might not be a bad idea to have GitLab on FreedomBox if
we clearly indicate that its system requirements are higher.

It is justified to have heavy applications for community
deployments of FreedomBox, like in university campuses and other
organizations. I recently had a conversation with some members of
a co-op thinking of using FreedomBox for its communication and
collaboration tools. A popular application like GitLab in this
case helps with easy adoption. We can always have lighter
alternatives (like Gitea in this case) intended to be run on
SBCs. There can be a warning on the heavier applications that
they are not suitable to run on SBCs.

The other use cases, as Jonas mentioned (and coined new names)
are 1) a cluster of FreedomBoxes with each running one heavy
application and 2) a high config server machine running several
FreedomBox applications (or something in between).

Some recent developments like ActivityPub and Secure Scuttlebutt
seem promising as they don't require all users to be registered
on the same machine. FreedomBox as a server to run P2P
applications and Federated applications might be the norm in the
future. Examples: Zeronet instance on FreedomBox accessible from
multiple devices, Scuttlebutt based social network with
FreedomBox as the hub, hosting federated applications like
Mastodon, PeerTube etc.