[Freedombox-discuss] Hosting emails at home

Adrian Gropper agropper at healthurl.com
Sun Jun 3 22:20:44 BST 2018

Hi Andre,

Thanks for starting this thread around home server and SSO. These are the
two essential ingredients for re-decentralizing the web and I am not aware
of any consumer-grade way to offer such an appliance today. I have been
following the FreedomBox project for many years hoping it would eventually
help with a supported edicated server / SSO appliance.

Our project, HIE of One http://hieofone.org/ blends existing standards for
a self-sovereign authorization server (UMA -
https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/Home ) and rapidly
emerging standards for self-sovereign identity for SSO, self sovereign
identity (DID - https://w3c-ccg.github.io/did-method-registry/ ), and
Verifiable Credentials (https://www.w3.org/2017/vc/WG/ ) into a single
personal appliance or VM. We call this a self-sovereign technology stack.
Other servers such as mail servers or health records (our use-case) can
then be controlled in both the authentication and authorization sense by
the HIE of One.

In my experience, the HIE of One (stands for Health Information Exchange of
One) way of approaching SSO is much more powerful than previous methods
such as SAML and OpenID Connect that require federation in order to work.
Federation is an inherently centralized and governance-sensitive
architecture that inserts itself between a person's credentials
(self-asserted or verified) and the use of the credentials to gain
authorization for an action. Blockchain-based trust can replace federation
trust with much less risk of censorship and privacy violations. Besides
DID, HIE of One also allows for OpenID Connect SSO if the individual is
willing to whitelist trusted identity providers.

Another project that is trying to build consumer-friendly personal server
appliances is https://ubos.net/

As I currently see it, FreedomBox does not have a focus on creating a
supported dedicated consumer server appliance. The focus seems more on
enabling people to support themselves. As the hardware cost approaches $50,
the current FreedomBox strategy of self-support makes less and less sense.
Adoption would be vastly accelerated if people could buy separate,
standards-based (for substitutability), appliances that could be supported
by others the way we currently install apps in the walled gardens of our
mobile hardware.

Adrian

--

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: https://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-3/