[Freedombox-discuss] what about a freedombox image for beaglebone black revision c emmc?

James Valleroy jvalleroy at mailbox.org
Thu Mar 15 11:42:47 UTC 2018

On 03/15/2018 01:35 AM, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2018 09:00 PM, ni nhar wrote:
>> beaglebone black revision c has an emmc chip. I asked for instruction
>> on how to install the freedombox on the emmc. Got no answer.
>
> Currently, there are no reports of people installing on eMMC for
> BeagleBone Black Revision C. IIRC, quite some time ago, the kernel
> didn't support installing on eMMC.
>
>> Should'nt there be a freedombox image for installing on the emmc? You
>> should make one if the freedombox installed on the emmc is much
>> faster than the freedombox installed on a sdcard.
>
> If you give it a try and it works, do write about it.  We can prepare
> instructions for eMMC installation or prepare a separate image if necessary.

Instead of a separate image, we could add an option that can be selected
during setup (or at a later time):
1. The system boots first from the micro SD card.
2. The user creates their account, and then selects an option like
"Install to other storage device" (supported internal storage or SSD).
3. If needed, the other device is formatted with btrfs filesystem, with
appropriate warnings.
4. The system creates a btrfs snapshot, and uses "btrfs send" and "btrfs
receive" to copy it to the other device.
5. The system performs any device-specific setup required to have it
boot from the other device.
6. The user is instructed that the system will shutdown, and then they
should remove the micro SD card, and reboot.
7. The system boots from the new storage device.

--
James