[Freedombox-discuss] Scuttlebutt?

Joseph Nuthalapati njoseph at thoughtworks.com
Sat Mar 24 01:17:09 UTC 2018

Sam,

Scuttlebutt looks very interesting. I saw the video and getting started,
didn't use it yet.

I can think of two use cases:

We can store the .ssb folder on FreedomBox allowing users to access the
social network from multiple devices. I hope at least one of the
scuttlebutt clients supports this use case. Users would access their
Scuttlebutt instance running on FreedomBox from a browser. I'm not sure
if multiple users can be supported on one FreedomBox in this use case.

A second use case is to run a scuttlebutt pub on the FreedomBox
providing a setting to make it either private or public with people
storing their data on their own devices.

Either way, the chief blocker (and also the best feature) to adding a
new application to FreedomBox is the requirement that the application be
a Debian package. Once scuttlebutt is packaged for Debian, we can
consider adding it to FreedomBox.

BTW, since we're talking about social networks, the Debian packaging for
GNU Social and diaspora* is in progress. I hope we'll have them both
integrated into FreedomBox this year.