[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Summit

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Nov 10 22:00:38 GMT 2018

Thank you for bringing up these suggestions.

[Joseph Nuthalapati]
>   The diaspora* team has been fairly successful with their contrib
>   package called disapora-installer, but the diaspora package itself
>   requires too much manpower to maintain. I propose that we should
>   create a freedombox-contrib package that when installed can install
>   applications like diaspora* through their contrib packages
>   (diaspora-installer in this case).

While I agree that several program systems seem to be very hard to
package for Debian, I must admit that I am very reluctant to run on my
computers random stuff downloaded from the Internet.  It is part of the
reason I like that Freedombox is based Debian, where there is hard
control over what is provided to the users.  It is to regain control
over my computer equipment and avoid having to trust a bunch of random
package repositories I want to use Freedombox.

> 3 User Feedback and Analytics
> =============================
>
>   Passive collection of anonymized user interaction data is what
>   guided the development and improvement of most modern commercial
>   platforms. I believe that we should do proper web and mobile
>   analytics with a self-hosted solution like Matomo. A low-hanging
>   fruit in this category is to do regular user surveys with a few
>   carefully formulated questions.

Submission of person information, like IP addresses and the fact that a
program is being used, accompanied with a story about throwing away part
of the collected information to make it 'anonymized', is part of the
reason I stay away from "most modern commercial platforms" and use
Freedombox.  Introducing call home functions to the Freedombox seem like
a very bad idea that is unlikely to further our goal.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen