[Freedombox-discuss] Solid personal data storage

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 17:00:19 BST 2018

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 16:53, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk> wrote:

> Quoting mray (2018-10-07 14:11:24)
> > How does Solid compare to IPFS, storj.io, maidsafe, taheolafs, lbry.io
> > ?
>
> Solid is kinda like a web server for socially linked data.  Like Apache2
> it uses http, but where Apache2 serves html documents, Solid serves rdf
> data, specifically rdf data about social activities.  Like Apache2,
> Solid don't care if underlying storage is on a classic harddisk or
> something more advanced.

Correct!

I'll just point out that solid can store any type of file.  HTML, images,
movies.  It allows seeking withing a movie file too, which can be hard on
certain storage platforms.

The idea is that your storage is social and can interact with other
freedomboxes (or pods in solid terminology), to create new types of
application.