[Freedombox-discuss] WARNING! upgrading firewalld manually renders box unusable and unreachable.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sat Oct 13 00:03:17 BST 2018

Hi,

In the last few days I've noticed:

WARNING Package firewalld has conffile prompt and needs to be upgraded
manually

In the past doing so with aptitude and selecting keep old configuration
file has worked just fine.  Not this time.

After doing what I had done successfully in the past, nothing worked and
I couldn't even get in through ssh.  I had to take out the SSD card and
plug it into another computer.  Looking at /etc/firewalld/firewalld.conf
I noticed 2 differences:

DefaultZone=external	is what has worked in the past, public is the
			default in the (new) package maintainer's file.

FirewallBackend=nftables is a new option not in the previous config,
			 and needs to be changed to iptables.

So, manually changing these two options:

DefaultZone=external
FirewallBackend=iptables

like this in the new package maintainer's config file made everything
work again.

Luckily automatic upgrades properly refused to do this upgrade.

Thank you very much to the developers.  FreedomBox is getting better and
better.  Now I don't feel safe without it.

Augustine

PS: Any news on Shaarli? I keep ckecking and it's still not back in
Debian.  Does anyone know what the holdup is? Are there other similar
packages in Debian?  I really miss it.