[Freedombox-discuss] How to Contribute

Hemanth Kumar Veeranki hems.india1997 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 19:58:48 BST 2018

Hi len,

> Interested in contributing to FreedomBox. Here's my GitHub profile:
> https://github.com/leni1

Welcome to the community. We are glad you want to contribute. First of all,
our code base is hosted on https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/ . Have
a look at our codebase that is hosted there.

> I think I would be good with anything Python related as well as HTML and
> CSS. I have a question regarding setting up a development environment:
> can one hack on FreedomBox on Ubuntu or any other Debian-based distro or
> the distro you use should be (preferably) Debian.

Yes, you can hack on Freedombox on Ubuntu or any other debian based distro.
In fact you can use any linux distro, provided it is supported by Vagrant (
https://www.vagrantup.com/).
>From wikipedia " Vagrant is an open source software for building and
maintaining portable virtual software development environments, e.g. for
VirtualBox, Hyper-V, Docker containers, VMware, and AWS which try to
simplify software configuration management of virtualizations in order to
increase development productivity."

You can think of it like a virtual machine manager. We have a vagrant
image, which can be used to hack Freedombox. I personally used Vagrant so
far. So there is no restriction that it should be debian. As long as you
have vagrant and virtualbox installed on your distro, you can contribute to
Freedombox.

Let us know if you have any questions. I would suggest you to read
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Contribute to get more insights of
getting involved.

Regards,
Hemanth Kumar Veeranki