[Freedombox-discuss] How to start Freedombox on A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2-n8GB?

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Sat Sep 15 13:45:57 BST 2018

Hi Sergei,

Quoting Sergei Kaunov (2018-09-15 12:34:39)
> I wanted to support OSHW and had an idea that it could be more
> compatible.

Great!

> But now I stuck and need your advice.

:-(

> I've got the only model OLinuXino that was available around.

the NAND flavor of LIME2 should work identical to the non-NAND flavor -
i.e. using same bootloader and no need for customizations (those NAND
chips on the board are simply ignored¹).

> Now I already tried to flash *testing* and* stable* releases via
> Etcher and *dd*. Tried to access the device via different routers; the
> cable to attach the device was proofed to work. So I'm out of
> troubleshooting thoughts for now. All I get is red light around the
> power plug. No indications of network activity near ethernet slot.
> Using Sandisk SDHC 16 GB for flashing. No errors during the procedure.

If you want to check that your board is working at all, here are a few
options (replace /dev/sdX with the path to your sdcard on you PC):

  wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/firmware.A20-OLinuXino-Lime2.img.gz
  gunzip firmware.A20-OLinuXino-Lime2.img.gz
  cp firmware.A20-OLinuXino-Lime2.img /dev/sdX

Above should output U-boot info on serial port.  It will fail to boot
(contains only U-boot and /boot partition) but is quick to download.

  wget http://box.redpill.dk/core/core-lime2-buster-1.0b13.img.gz
  gunzip core-lime2-buster-1.0b13.img.gz
  cp core-lime2-buster-1.0b13.img /dev/sdX

Above should output U-boot info on HDMI, and succeed to boot.

 - Jonas

¹ Mainline U-boot cannot (yet) access NAND chips on A20-based boards.