[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi 4

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Mon Dec 30 02:51:25 GMT 2019

On 28/12/19 3:35 pm, Chris Troutner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just checking the FreedomBox Maker page
> <https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Maker> and did not see the newer
> Raspberry Pi 4 mentioned. Has anyone successfully build Freedombox for
> an RPi 4?

We have not yet built Raspberry Pi 4 support with Freedom Maker. All
FreedomBox images rely on upstream/Debian kernels and u-boot for
support. FreedomBox does not have build for RPi 4 yet because the
upstream support is not available yet.

However, if you want FreedomBox on your Pi 4 today, install vanilla
Debian and install the freedombox package on top[1].

I for one am looking forward to building Raspbeery Pi 4 images. We might
be able to build completely free FreedomBox images from Raspberry Pi 4
onwards due to the available SPI flash containing the proprietary
firmware. Here is the current status (roughly):

- Support in Linux upstream seems to be added in 5.5 (currently at -rc4).

- Support in U-boot upstream seems to be present.

- Support for Raspberry Pi 4 in Debian u-boot and flash-kernel packages
does not seem to exist yet, but this part should be straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Links:

1) https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware/Debian

--