[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi 4

Adrian Gropper agropper at healthurl.com
Mon Dec 30 03:58:26 GMT 2019

Hi Sunil,

I don't quite understand how the SPI flash would be used to enable
completely free images for Pi4. That would certainly be significant.

Will it be a two-step process that first reprograms the flash?

Adrian

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 9:51 PM Sunil Mohan Adapa <sunil at medhas.org> wrote:

> On 28/12/19 3:35 pm, Chris Troutner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just checking the FreedomBox Maker page
> > <https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Maker> and did not see the newer
> > Raspberry Pi 4 mentioned. Has anyone successfully build Freedombox for
> > an RPi 4?
> >

> We have not yet built Raspberry Pi 4 support with Freedom Maker. All
> FreedomBox images rely on upstream/Debian kernels and u-boot for
> support. FreedomBox does not have build for RPi 4 yet because the
> upstream support is not available yet.
>
> However, if you want FreedomBox on your Pi 4 today, install vanilla
> Debian and install the freedombox package on top[1].
>
> I for one am looking forward to building Raspbeery Pi 4 images. We might
> be able to build completely free FreedomBox images from Raspberry Pi 4
> onwards due to the available SPI flash containing the proprietary
> firmware. Here is the current status (roughly):
>
> - Support in Linux upstream seems to be added in 5.5 (currently at -rc4).
>
> - Support in U-boot upstream seems to be present.
>
> - Support for Raspberry Pi 4 in Debian u-boot and flash-kernel packages
> does not seem to exist yet, but this part should be straight forward.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Links:
>
> 1) https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware/Debian
>
> --
> Sunil

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: https://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-3/