[Freedombox-discuss] Can connect to vpn but not internet access

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Tue Feb 5 18:26:50 GMT 2019

On 05/02/19 8:38 am, Daddy wrote:
> Hello!
>
> This is just a "me too" message. Been having this problem for months,
> and I too thought that it was something that I have caused. Maybe not?
>
> D.
>
> On 5 February 2019 16:28:49 CET, AnthonyLapointe via Freedombox-discuss
> <freedombox-discuss at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:
>
>     Hi I've installed freedombox testing on a cubietruck. I've installed
>     openvpn and searchX. I'm successful at connecting to my freedombox
>     via openvpn on an internet cafe network(not lan), but I'm unable to
>     access the internet after connecting  to the vpn. I can do search
>     query on searchX and it works but when I click on a search result my
>     browser say that I'm not connected to the internet. I have opened
>     port forwarding at 1194 on my router and have changed the opvn
>     config file for "remote MyUserName.sds-ip.de 1194". Can someone tell
>     me what I'm doing wrong?

For Internet connectivity via OpenVPN to work, one needs to have at
least one network interface assigned to 'external' zone. According to
firewalld's rules, all interfaces in external zone will be automatically
used for Masquerading/NAT feature. This needs better documentation and
the UI should warn users.

Also we suffering from a bug[1][2] in firewalld that is preventing this
feature from working. The bug is fixed upstream[3] and hopefully we will
an unstream or Debian release soon.

Links:

1) https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues/1457

2) https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919517