[Freedombox-discuss] possible bug? tor installation does not open ports 9001, 9030?

David Mintz david at davidmintz.org
Wed Feb 6 16:32:55 GMT 2019

I posted the below message some days ago and got no response. Since then
I tried again, and managed to figure out a way -- if not THE way -- to
fix. I had previously installed the Tor package using Plinth and the web
interface, but my Tor ports were not reachable from the outside. Tried a
lot of things (in my naive way), no luck, gave up, started over with a
totally fresh OS installation, hoping to wipe the slate clean.
Next, I simply installed with `apt install tor`.  Again, port not
reachable errors.  Finally I figured out firewall-cmd enough to open
the ports manually (so to speak), with `firewall-cmd  --permanent
--add-port=9001/tcp --zone=internal`,  and again for port 9030. Now
my life is happy.
But that raises the question of whether the UI for Tor installation and
setup has an issue in Plinth. I am not sure, that's why I ask, but I
would have thought Plinth would have automatically done the firewall
config for me. So I looked for a bug report at
https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues and could not
find anything relevant when filtering for "tor".
Any thoughts as to how to figure out whether there's an issue to report?
---
David Mintz
https://davidmintz.org
Capitalism has failed. https://wsws.org