[Freedombox-discuss] possible bug? tor installation does not open ports 9001, 9030?

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Thu Feb 14 22:59:21 GMT 2019

On 06/02/19 1:56 pm, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
[...]
> I just checked that relay option works as expected on my FreedomBox. I
> turned on the the relay option (not the bridge relay option) in the UI
> and noticed that:
>
> - FreedomBox has set 'ORPort auto' in the configuration file
> /etc/tor/instances/plinth/torrc
>
> - It has read the automatically allocated ORPort from Tor status
> information and shown that port information in the relay status table in
> the UI.
>
> - Then it created a firewalld service file
> /etc/firewalld/services/tor-orport.xml. And added the port to external
> and internal zones of the firewalld as seen in 'firewall-cmd
> --list-all-zones'.
>
> - Tor ORPort was reachable from outside according to the Tor logs as
> seen with `journalctl -u tor at plinth`:

There is an issue that Tor ORPort was changing after a restart of
FreedomBox and the new port was not getting opened up in the
firewall[1]. The fix is now available and likely to reach testing users
about March 12 or so[2]. Workaround until then is to enable/disable
relaying if you do a reboot.

Links:

1) https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues/1495

2) https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/merge_requests/1451