[Freedombox-discuss] Radicale disabled

Robert Pollak robert.pollak at posteo.net
Tue Feb 26 21:31:25 GMT 2019

Hello Sunil,

I hope it's ok for you to also CC this to the list for later reference.

Am 26.02.19 um 21:32 schrieb Sunil Mohan Adapa:
> On 26/02/19 10:26 am, Robert Pollak wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> The following fortunately worked:
>> 1) Backing up /var/lib/radicale/collections/
>> 2) Cleaning /var/lib/radicale/collections/, keeping only the empty user
>> directories at /var/lib/radicale/collections/collection-root/
>> 3) Creating DAVx5 accounts of the form
>> https://<my.freedombox.address>/radicale/<myUsername>/
>> 4) In each of these accounts, creating a new calendar. This creates a
>> new calendar directory (with a hash name) in the radicale user directory.
>> 5) Simply copying all the ics files of each user from the initial backup
>> into the new calendar directory.
>>
>> Then, after syncing, all the personal calendars are restored at the phones.
>
> I didn't know that the migration process was actually this simple. Had
> we known this we could have implemented a much better migration tool and
> contributed this to Debian package too.

No, the stuff I backed up in 1) was both the results of the
--export-storage command and some new calender entries that were already
somehow synced to radicale 2.x, but lost in some strange subdirectory
structure that got un-synced by the instructions of
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual/Radicale#Migrating_from_Radicale_Version_1.x_to_Version_2.x.

So this was merely a cleanup.

>> I still don't know how I can make readonly sharing work again.
>> To be sure, I have first switched the "Any user with a FreedomBox login
>> can view any calendar/addressbook, but only the owner can make changes."
>> access rights off and on again.
>> But still, creating DAVx5 accounts of the form
>> https://<my.freedombox.address>
>> or
>> https://<my.freedombox.address>/radicale/
>> only offers me access to my own new calendar, not readonly access to the
>> other users' calendars, as we had it with the default calendars of
>> Radicale 1.x.
>
> On thing I did test is this: take the calendar URL from DAVx5 when
> calendar shows up after adding account, then message this on to other
> users and they will be able to add it to say Thunderbird as read-only
> calendars.

Thank you, that was a good hint! When these URLs are used to create
DAVx5 accounts with a different user, they automatically become read-only.
It's a little more work than just selecting the interesting read-only
calendars from a list, but my family is very happy to reach feature
parity with my old Radicale 1.x setup now :-)

Best regards,
Robert