[Freedombox-discuss] Eben Moglen's speech about FreedomBox

Danny Haidar haidar at freedomboxfoundation.org
Wed Nov 20 21:39:46 GMT 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm writing to share a link to Eben Moglen's recent speech about
FreedomBox, titled "FreedomBox Turns Ten." On Saturday, November 16th,
the FreedomBox Foundation held a hackathon in New York City to
commemorate the upcoming ten-year anniversary of the founding of
FreedomBox. As you may know, the FreedomBox project was founded in
February 2010, when Eben Moglen delivered a speech titled, "Freedom in
the Cloud." Nearly ten years later, Eben Moglen delivered a different
speech which, interestingly, stressed some of the same themes.

**Ten years** is a huge milestone. We hope that this speech gives
everyone a chance to reflect on the past and the future of our social
movement to decentralize the web.

Video of Eben Moglen's "FreedomBox Turns Ten" speech is available here:

- Video file (licensed under CC-BY-SA 4.0):
http://downloads.softwarefreedom.org/2019/fbx-hackathon/

- PeerTube:
https://peertube.mastodon.host/videos/watch/6eac4d50-0d49-413b-9d61-9156e6789579

- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U8PyukPyGE

Articles about the hackathon and speech:

- FreedomBox Foundation's news item:
https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/news/freedombox-turns-ten-summary/

- Software Freedom Law Center's news item:
http://softwarefreedom.org/news/2019/nov/19/freedombox-turns-ten/

- Blog post by Bob Mottram (of FreedomBone):
https://blog.freedombone.net/freedombox-at-ten

Please share this video with anyone who may be interested!

Best,

Danny

--
Danny Haidar*
Vice-President for Product & Development

* Not admitted to practice law in any jurisdiction.
Nothing in this email constitutes legal advice.
I cannot establish any attorney-client relationships.