[Freedombox-discuss] Forgot admin password

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Thu Apr 2 09:41:42 BST 2020

Hello Joseph, and others,

Op 02-04-2020 om 03:54 schreef Joseph Nuthalapati:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for sharing your method with the community.
>
> I took the liberty of adding your solution to the FAQ page on the wiki
> since this question is quite frequently asked.
> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/QuestionsAndAnswers#I_forgot_the_password_for_my_admin_account._Can_I_reset_it.3F

;-)

> BTW, a password reset feature is planned for this year.
> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Roadmap2020

Good to hear!

> I noticed that you used the word "customer" in the your first email. I'm
> glad to know that Debian system administrators are offering consulting
> services for FreedomBox as well. The fact that paid support and
> consulting services exist can give more confidence to non-technical
> users to adopt FreedomBox. I'm curious to know more about how you are
> supporting people with their FreedomBox installations.

I am not very experienced with the Freedombox. But I do my best.

A customer told me that he wanted a solution to use a VPN for his whole
network. I told him about the Freedombox and that this could be a
solution, but that I had to study it more. But he still ordered some of
them and now I have to do it...

For me using Networkmanager in a server-setup is new, firewalld is new.
Much is new.  But I do Debian for about 18 years I guess.

Getting OpenVPN as a client to work without dnsleak was difficult, I use
some kind of workarround. I use "chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf" to be sure
the correct nameserver is used. Without it, there is in some situations
DNS leakage.

I also tried Wireguard as a VPN, but there is no backport for
Networkmanager so this does not work at the moment.

With regards,
Paul

https://www.vandervlis.nl/