[Freedombox-discuss] Ejabberd & Gajim problems.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 23:09:59 BST 2020

Hello everyone,

FreedomBox 20.5 on an apu1d4.  Ejabberd installed and passed all the
diagnostic tests.  Dynamic dns installed with <domain>.freedombox.rocks.
Admin user was the only user on the FreedomBox.  Then I added a non-admin
user when I attempted the tests from the external laptop (see below).

Gajim 1.1.2 on Debian Stable (10.3) in the internal network (192.168.x.x)
Same Gajim and Debian on the external laptop.

Created 2 accounts on gajim (on an internal machine):

<admin-user>@fbx.local (fbx.local is what the FreedomBox reports as Local
Network Domain) in System->Name Services.  This account seems to work.
I don't see the error below and changing its status from Offline to Available
works.

<admin-user>@<domain>.freedombox.rocks (<domain>.freedombox.rocks is what
the FreedomBox reports as the Dynamic Domain Name in System->Name Services).

The external domain (<domain>.freedombox.rocks is accessible from outside
via the cell phone (I opened the relevant ports in the cable modem).

I can ping <domain>.freedombox.rocks from the internal network, so this is
not a network issue.

On startup Gajim pops up a window that says:

	Could not connect to "<domain>.freedombox.rocks"

Server replied: The value of the    'to' attribute provided by the
initiating entity in the stream header does not correspond to a hostname
that is hosted by the server.
Check your connection or try again later.

		OK

The same message appears if I try to change the status of this account from
Offline to Available.

I then connected a laptop to the wifi on the cable modem, which is connected
to the FreedomBox WAN interface.  I can access <domain>.freedombox.rocks
from the browser but I get the same error above when I start gajim or when
I try to change the selected account from Offline to Available.  I even
created another (non-admin) account on the FreedomBox and I get the same
error, whether from the inside network or from the WAN interface, so this is
not an internal-vs-external issue.

I see no configuration in ejabberd that seems related to this problem.  Any
hints as to what to try?  It seems that it's ejabberd that is generating this
error.  Is this a case of ejabberd not knowing about the dynamic dns name?

Thanks for any help.

Augustine