[Freedombox-discuss] Ejabberd & Gajim problems.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 18:59:09 BST 2020

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 08:47:42AM -0400, I wrote:

> My quess is that Ejabberd doesn't know about the dynamic dns domain, or
> is not cofigured right to know about it.

Went looking for the ejabberd config files and found
/etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.yml.  In it there was this section:

hosts:
- "fbx.local"
- localhost

So, added the dynamic dns domain "<domain>.freedombox.rocks" and I no
longer get the error described previously.  The new section now looks
like this:

hosts:
- "fbx.local"
- "<domain>.freedombox.rocks" (with <domain> replaced with the real domain)
- localhost

Starting gajim (so far only tested on the internal machine) now shows
both accounts (the one with fbx.local and the ohe with the dynamic dns
domain) as green and available.

It looks like the ultimate solution is for the installation procedure to
check for all possible domains and add them to this config file.  I
realize this gets complicated fast.  If ejabberd is installed at a time
when the only domain is .local the setup of dynamic dns will have to
check all apps that depend on the new domain so it is added where it
should be.  The same is probably true for all other domain names.  Right
now the System->Name Services only has the "Local Network Domain" and the
"Dynamic Domain Name" filled in.  "Domain Name" is blank, as is "PageKite
Domain" and "Tor Onion Service".  From the instructions it seems that
"Domain Name" is a properly registered domain that probably requires a
fixed IP address, correct?  Setting this to the internal domain of the
internal network would be asking for trouble, most likely.

Augustine