[Freedombox-discuss] Ejabberd & Gajim problems.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 13:47:42 BST 2020

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 08:34:59AM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 06:09:59PM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > FreedomBox 20.5 on an apu1d4.
>
> According https://www.pcengines.ch/apu1d4.htm is it
> a computer with 3 ethernet interfaces
> to which wifi interfaces can be added.

This is what System->Networks reports:

FreedomBox WAN (the outside interface connected to the cable modem)
FreedomBox LAN enp3s0 (the internal interface connected to the internal
router)
FreedomBox LAN enp2s0 (internal interface not being used - no cable
connected).

No wifi interface on the FreedomBox has been added or used.  The laptop
test was through the cable modem wifi, which goes to the FreedomBox via
the WAN interface.

> > Ejabberd installed and passed all the
> > diagnostic tests.  Dynamic dns installed with <hostname>.freedombox.rocks.
> > Admin user was the only user on the FreedomBox.  Then I added a non-admin
> > user when I attempted the tests from the external laptop (see below).
> >
> > Gajim 1.1.2 on Debian Stable (10.3) in the internal network (192.168.x.x)
> > Same Gajim and Debian on the external laptop.
> >
> > Created 2 accounts on gajim (on an internal machine):
> >
> > <admin-user>@fbx.local (fbx.local is what the FreedomBox reports as Local
> > Network Domain) in System->Name Services.  This account seems to work.
> > I don't see the error below and changing its status from Offline to Available
> > works.
> >
> > <admin-user>@<hostname>.freedombox.rocks (<hostname>.freedombox.rocks is what
> > the FreedomBox reports as the Dynamic Domain Name in System->Name Services).
> >
> > The external host (<hostname>.freedombox.rocks is accessible from outside
> > via the cell phone (I opened the relevant ports in the cable modem).
> >
> > I can ping <hostname>.freedombox.rocks from the internal network, so this is
> > not a network issue.
> >
> > On startup
>
> Please state  which network  is being used

See above.

My quess is that Ejabberd doesn't know about the dynamic dns domain, or
is not cofigured right to know about it.

Augustine