[Freedombox-discuss] Firewalld not upgraded automatically. old config or new? also FOLLOWUP: other packages not upgraded.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 12 18:30:38 BST 2020

Thanks to all that have replied, here or privately.  I have gone with
the old config.  After the next automatic upgrade package freedombox was
upgraded.  But there were still packages that could not be upgraded due
to policy.

Did a "sudo apt-get update" which looked up testing/main and
buster-backports/main.

and "sudo apt-get upgrade", which gives:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  libpam-systemd libsystemd0 mailutils mailutils-common python3-django sshfs
  systemd
  apt apt-utils libapt-pkg6.0 libnss-myhostname libudev1 matrix-synapse
  python3-automat python3-constantly python3-cryptography python3-hamcrest
  python3-hyperlink python3-icu python3-idna python3-incremental
  python3-keyutils python3-llfuse python3-openssl python3-pyasn1
  python3-pyasn1-modules python3-service-identity python3-systemd
  python3-twisted python3-twisted-bin python3-zope.hookable systemd-sysv udev
  unattended-upgrades
27 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 8,799 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,033 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

For now I'm not going ahead.  I presume the "policy" of the freedombox
dictates what is kept back.  Is it safe to go ahead and upgrade those
packages that "will be upgraded"?  I wonder if the next nightly
automatic upgrade will take care of these.  What about those that are
kept back?  Is this going to snowball into more and more packages that
fail to upgrade automatically?

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 09:28:45AM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > > I presume other people have encountered this.  What is the proper thing to do
> > > here?  What are the consequences of going either way for the FreedomBox
> > > specifically?
>
> I'm not sure if those questions have been answered.
> Please tell.  (either way)

Not to me privately, beyond the specific firewalld question.  I suppose
this addresses the bigger question of policy I address above.

Augustine