[Freedombox-discuss] Request for Comments: Agenda Items for 2020 Summit - UI

permondes - sagen sagen at permondes.de
Wed Dec 2 16:09:54 GMT 2020

I would like to suggest a change in the user interface and in
documentation.Let's start with documentation/manual (the
wiki).Currently the manual is *software* (buzz word "apps") centered. I
think it should be *application* centered, so what can the user do with
it. Let me give an example; the topic should e.g. be:
- Data exchange and synchronisation with other people and devices  -
Locally sharing (Samba)  - File and Snippet sharing (Bepasty)  -
Calendars and Addressbook (Radicale)  - Synchronisation (Syncthing)  -
E-book library (Calibre)  - Software library (GitWeb)  - BitTorrent
(there should be a more generic title, I just have not yet understood
what exactly I do with it)    - Deluge     - Transmission (1-3 phrases
of differences of them)  - MLDonkey (I never understood what this is
either, even Wikipedia could not make it clear to me)
Each of these items needs a 1-3 phrase explanation ("management
summary") of what it does and how it distinguishes from the other
"apps". Then a link to the details we already have in the manual.So the
user who wants to share a file with someone else can immediately find
the best app for this application.
The same could be done for communication (matrix, mail, ICQ, ...),
bypassing censorship (Tor, ...) etc.
The GUI should follow the same scheme, kind of mirror the manual (or
vice versa).
Each app that requires some configuration that is currently done
somewhere else (e.g. dns, lets encrypt, ...) should *lead* the user to
setting up that app including linking to that configuration.
So summarizing: What does the user want to do? Take him by the hand and
lead him. Forget about software, think user!
I would like to discuss how others see this approach and if we can
agree of implementing it. With regards to the manual/wiki, this should
be easy - and of course I am volunteering to work on it.
PS: Everything that requires terminal interaction should go under "for
experienced users".	Dietmar