[Freedombox-discuss] Unmet dependencies, "Applying updates failed".

James Valleroy jvalleroy at mailbox.org
Wed Dec 16 02:50:50 GMT 2020

On 12/14/20 6:00 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:
> But the problem after all these packages got installed is that  there
> are still unmet dependencies.  From cockpit->software updates:

>   php-common: Breaks: php7.3-common but 7.3.15-3 is to be installed
>   libgc1: Conflicts: libgc1c2 but 1:7.6.4-0.4 is to be installed
>   fuse3: Breaks: fuse
>   libgcc1: Depends: gcc-10-base (= 10.1.0-1) but 10.2.0-19 is to be installed
>   python3-django: Breaks: python-django-common
>   libmailutils5: Depends: mailutils-common (= 1:3.5-3) but 1:3.10-3 is to be installed
>   libgc1c2: Conflicts: libgc1 but 1:8.0.4-3 is to be installed
>
> What is the proper way to deal with this?  I've tried to keep the
> FreedomBox completely standard, not installing anything manually.
> Could this be related to backports?

This issue is common on testing/bullseye (until it is frozen for release).

The manual solution is to try upgrading just one of the listed packages (with "apt install <package>"), and see if that would lead to any important packages (freedombox, apps) being removed. If it would remove an important package, then you can cancel the upgrade. It may remove some non-important or obsolete packages, such as python2 packages, and that is ok.

--
James