[Freedombox-discuss] Unmet dependencies, "Applying updates failed".

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Dec 16 09:34:29 GMT 2020

Quoting James Valleroy via Freedombox-discuss (2020-12-16 03:50:50)
> On 12/14/20 6:00 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > But the problem after all these packages got installed is that  there
> > are still unmet dependencies.  From cockpit->software updates:

> >   php-common: Breaks: php7.3-common but 7.3.15-3 is to be installed
> >   libgc1: Conflicts: libgc1c2 but 1:7.6.4-0.4 is to be installed
> >   fuse3: Breaks: fuse
> >   libgcc1: Depends: gcc-10-base (= 10.1.0-1) but 10.2.0-19 is to be installed
> >   python3-django: Breaks: python-django-common
> >   libmailutils5: Depends: mailutils-common (= 1:3.5-3) but 1:3.10-3 is to be installed
> >   libgc1c2: Conflicts: libgc1 but 1:8.0.4-3 is to be installed
> >
> > What is the proper way to deal with this?  I've tried to keep the
> > FreedomBox completely standard, not installing anything manually.
> > Could this be related to backports?
>
> This issue is common on testing/bullseye (until it is frozen for
> release).
>
> The manual solution is to try upgrading just one of the listed
> packages (with "apt install <package>"), and see if that would lead to
> any important packages (freedombox, apps) being removed. If it would
> remove an important package, then you can cancel the upgrade. It may
> remove some non-important or obsolete packages, such as python2
> packages, and that is ok.

Sounds like the underlying issue for this is packages wrongly marked as
manually installed - check with this command:

  apt-mark showmanual

If you find that packages you didn't explicitly install yourself gets
marked as manually installed, then see bug#742977 and consider
contributing to that bugreport.