[Freedombox-discuss] Unmet dependencies, "Applying updates failed".

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Dec 16 21:29:17 GMT 2020

Quoting A. F. Cano (2020-12-16 21:52:29)
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 10:34:29AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting James Valleroy via Freedombox-discuss (2020-12-16 03:50:50)

In above, *all* those packages should be flagged as auto-installed -
because none of them are used directly, only as dependencies of
something more concrete.

> > > The manual solution is to try upgrading just one of the listed
> > > packages (with "apt install <package>"), and see if that would
> > > lead to any important packages (freedombox, apps) being removed.
> > > If it would remove an important package, then you can cancel the
> > > upgrade. It may remove some non-important or obsolete packages,
> > > such as python2 packages, and that is ok.

python2 is not used directly on a FreedomBox: a FreedomBox user never
types "python" or "python2" on the commandline!

Instead, python2 is (or was in Buster, gone in Bullseye) used indirectly
by python libraries, which are used indirectly by daemons or other
tools, some of them depending on each other and others explicitly
installed.

> > Sounds like the underlying issue for this is packages wrongly marked as
> > manually installed - check with this command:
> >
> >   apt-mark showmanual
>
> $ apt-mark showmanual | wc -l
> 217

My guess is you can get it down to 20 or less - a linux kernel and the
freedombox package and maybe nothing else.

> > If you find that packages you didn't explicitly install yourself
> > gets marked as manually installed, then see bug#742977 and consider
> > contributing to that bugreport.
>
> I wouldn't know where to start since I really don't know how the apt
> system works internally,

If you are not familiar with apt and reading the man page of e.g.
apt-mark, then maybe it is not you but someone else more fluent in that
tool that should do such exploration.

Rather than start from a custom system already being poked with in
various ways, I recommend to start from a fresh install of FreedomBox
and try mark as much as possible as auto-installed without anything
getting uninstalled.

I can dearly recommend to use aptitude in fullscreen mode for such
exploration.