[Freedombox-discuss] Unmet dependencies, "Applying updates failed".

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 16 20:52:29 GMT 2020

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 10:34:29AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting James Valleroy via Freedombox-discuss (2020-12-16 03:50:50)
> > On 12/14/20 6:00 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > > But the problem after all these packages got installed is that  there
> > > are still unmet dependencies.  From cockpit->software updates:
> > >
> > > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > >   php-common: Breaks: php7.3-common but 7.3.15-3 is to be installed
> > >   libgc1: Conflicts: libgc1c2 but 1:7.6.4-0.4 is to be installed
> > >   fuse3: Breaks: fuse
> > >   libgcc1: Depends: gcc-10-base (= 10.1.0-1) but 10.2.0-19 is to be installed
> > >   python3-django: Breaks: python-django-common
> > >   libmailutils5: Depends: mailutils-common (= 1:3.5-3) but 1:3.10-3 is to be installed
> > >   libgc1c2: Conflicts: libgc1 but 1:8.0.4-3 is to be installed
> > >
> > > What is the proper way to deal with this?  I've tried to keep the
> > > FreedomBox completely standard, not installing anything manually.
> > > Could this be related to backports?
> >
> > This issue is common on testing/bullseye (until it is frozen for
> > release).
> >
> > The manual solution is to try upgrading just one of the listed
> > packages (with "apt install <package>"), and see if that would lead to
> > any important packages (freedombox, apps) being removed. If it would
> > remove an important package, then you can cancel the upgrade. It may
> > remove some non-important or obsolete packages, such as python2
> > packages, and that is ok.
>
> Sounds like the underlying issue for this is packages wrongly marked as
> manually installed - check with this command:
>
>   apt-mark showmanual

$ apt-mark showmanual | wc -l
217

> If you find that packages you didn't explicitly install yourself gets
> marked as manually installed, then see bug#742977 and consider
> contributing to that bugreport.

I wouldn't know where to start since I really don't know how the apt
system works internally, but in the list of 217 packages (complete list
below) are what looks like all the Freedombox apps (including
freedombox) in addition to many standard linux/debian packages.
Is it possible that the apt system thinks that the packages installed or
modified by FreedomBox are manually installed?

I have done an occasional apt update/upgrade from the command line, via
ssh, in an attempt to see why the unattended upgrades got stuck and if I
could get them unstuck.  Not sure if that's the reason for the 217
supposedly manual packages.

$ apt-mark showmanual
adduser
apache2