[Freedombox-discuss] New website is live!

hjenkins hjenkins at uvic.ca
Sun Feb 16 15:30:03 GMT 2020

The website is indeed solidly the better for the improvements listed,
and my thanks to everyone who worked on it. The main issue I'd raise is
a fuzzy look-and-feel one, which has faded the longer I look at the
website:

The website looks like too much like an advert for a new product from
one of the monopolistic data brokers, or a company that wants to sell
themselves to the same.

Even on this list, some have had the impression that FreedomBox could be
so sold
(https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2018-July/008455.html).
Not sure what the marketing jargon is for making it clear that you !=
your competitor. The differences are genuine, so we should be able to do
hard facts (we could link some from "under your control").

I think more hard facts would improve the webpage. Feel-good terms
without a concrete meaning, like "building a movement", "pioneer",
"community", and "soul", are often used in astroturfing. "Your data
stays with you" could be the sort of doublespeak often used by dodgy
spyware. The target of the "Foundation" link (confusingly titled "About
FreedomBox") does say what motivated the project, but does not say
anything that a company trying for an Android-style power structure
couldn't say. "Vision" is better, if shorter. The homepage bit on Debian
is easy to skim over, as it is grey; I repeatedly missed it.

I am not arguing that all non-concrete statements should be removed. I
*support* language like "building a movement". Presenting FreedomBox as
part of a social movement is honest. I suspect ~all potential FreedomBox
users see it as such (feel free to disagree). It appeals, too; the
"truth initiative" anti-smoking campaign switched from providing facts,
and portraying the tobacco industry as deceptive, to promoting a social
movement to end smoking in this generation, because they found this
appealed more to Millennials/GenZ.

I am arguing for more concrete statements. I understand that we need to
be careful about saying things with legal meaning, but surely there are
things we can say that our competitors can't. For instance, the webpage
could be conspicuously upfront and transparent about its governance
structure, where its money comes from, what software licenses it uses,
and the optional nature of buying its hardware.

The reason I say this:
----------------------

I was part of a LUG that occasionally gave away boot CDs/USBs, literally
to anyone we could find. Passers-by, mostly, though I found small
shopkeepers during offpeak hours more receptive (they have time on their
hands, and significant software costs). Our main obstacle was disbelief;
people assumed that there was a catch somewhere. I mean, you are
''giving'' them an operating system? And it's not spyware? Many wouldn't
even engage.

It helped to identify ourselves as a political activism group (for
instance, by setting up a table near the local government building, in
the standard space used by protestors, and making our signage look like
a political campaign rather than a promotional one). It really helped to
identify ourselves as *volunteers*, and to explain that open-source
software is written by volunteers (and what the volunteers get is
software, way better than they could write outside a co-operative
effort).

Pointing out that we were promoting democratic software, software
controlled by its users, also helped. Everyone likes democracy,
especially when contrasted with, say, the procedures used to amend
Facebook's privacy policy.

Being entirely honest about Ubuntu's interest in giving us some of the
CDs, and making it clear that I did not represent Ubuntu or even use it,
also helped. If I'd been paid by them, I could not have been so frank
about Ubuntu's advantages and drawbacks, and people notice that. Making
our costs and funding sources clear also helped. Some people's estimates
of the production cost of a boot CD were off by two orders of magnitude.

Awareness of open-source has sort-of improved over the years. People
have heard of Linux (if not Debian), and open-source. But asked for an
example, they give Android. It's almost more difficult trying to
persuade some people that most open-source software doesn't creepingly
demand more and more access to their personal data.

Apologies for letting this reply languish so long in my drafts folder.