[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox restart Was: 20.9 released

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Tue May 26 08:22:04 BST 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 12:29:10AM +0200, Birger Blixt wrote:
> Den 2020-05-19 kl. 02:54, skrev James Valleroy:
> > System restart will happen at 02:00 local time
>
> It's bad to do things at *:00 unless it's just local stuff.
>
> If deployed in a large scale, some nodes somewhere will get a network
> storm from all devices that request service at the exact same time.
>
> A better approach is hour:<random minute> so the load is spread over one
> hour.

Yes, valid point.

Thing I'm adding to the discussion:   daylight saving time switching.

Here in west Europa happens  DST switch at 02:00  last Sunday March,
the revert is 03:00 last Sunday October.

That means no  02:12 on that Sunday in March.
And twice a 02:12 on such Sundays in October.

    :-)

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--