[Freedombox-discuss] Element (matrix-synapse client) problems. More info, pointing to server.

Phil Morrell debian at emorrp1.name
Thu Oct 1 20:25:02 BST 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 08:16:30AM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> Surprisingly, when I woke up this morning, the element icon didn't have
> the red X any more and the not accessible error message was gone.  I
> could add the room and invite a user to an existing room, so things are
> back to normal.  Not sure what happened.  Some libs got upgraded on the
> FreedomBox overnight but they don't appear to be obviously related to
> matrix-synapse.
>
> I have encountered this situation (the red X appearing randomly and then
> disappearing a few days later) but it didn't affect video conferencing
> between established users in existing rooms.  This time I found out that
> it does affect room creation and invitations, at least.

I don't know about videoconferencing, but if you're frequently seeing
the client go Offline, you might be seeing the perfomance issue with
presence tracking. This would have knock-on effects for basically any
interaction with your matrix-synapse, I've started collecting the
relevant scaling issues together upstream:

https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/issues/8428