[Freedombox-discuss] Element (matrix-synapse client) problems. More info, pointing to server.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 28 19:02:08 GMT 2020

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 11:14:18PM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 08:16:30AM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
>
> > Surprisingly, when I woke up this morning, the element icon didn't have
> > the red X any more and the not accessible error message was gone.  I
> > could add the room and invite a user to an existing room, so things are
> > back to normal.  Not sure what happened.  Some libs got upgraded on the
> > FreedomBox overnight but they don't appear to be obviously related to
> > matrix-synapse.
> >
> > I have encountered this situation (the red X appearing randomly and then
> > disappearing a few days later) but it didn't affect video conferencing
> > between established users in existing rooms.  This time I found out that
> > it does affect room creation and invitations, at least.
> >
> > So, problem solved for now...  Thanks for the suggestions.  I have
> > installed wireshark and will learn how to use it in case it happens
> > again.
>
> Unfortunately, at the next reboot the problem reappeared and has not
> gone away, even after a second reboot due to more upgrades.

The inconsistent behavior continues.   A day after I sent the above, a
new version of Element showed up (1.7.11).  I upgraded, hoping that it
would solve the problem.  It didn't.  What it did do was pop up a window
requesting a wallet password, and it grabbed all keyboard input.  There
was no way to go to any other window and type anything.  Luckily the
mouse still worked and once I closed that window (via the "X" on the
frame) text input was restored to all the other windows.  Not very
friendly to other apps to grab the keyboard unconditionally,
irrespective of focus.

After I entered my account password (I haven't configured the wallet to
have any separate password) that problem went away, but the original
remained.  Then this morning when I woke up the problem was gone.

Some packages were upgraded overnight on the FreedomBox (Python3* and
other libs), nothing obviously related to the matrix server.  The
FreedomBox did not reboot last night.

As I type this, I notice there is a new Element version in the queue
(1.7.12) so the keyboard grab is possibly going to be solved.
Subsequent restarts (of 1.7.11) didn't show that window so it appears it
remembers what to do in light of the previously entered password.

I will upgrade to 1.7.12 after some video conferencing I need to do
later.  Can't risk a major problem at this time.

Augustine