[Freedombox-discuss] [GSoC21] Interest in FreedomBox email project

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Sun Apr 11 19:05:46 BST 2021

Hi!

hjenkins wrote:
> I'd suggest that the later portions of setting up an e-mail server, those
> which cannot readily be tested except in a full deployment of an e-mail
> server, might be good early priorities.

I agree...

> For scalability, which is important in some use cases, allowing Postgres
> backends is good. I have some scripts for setting up the Postgres DB
> somewhere; let me know if/when you want a copy.

Do you mean, using PostgreSQL to store configuration (e.g. the lists of
domains and email accounts on the system)?

Are there FreedomBox deployments that are really so big (e.g. 100 users
or more)? That would be really interesting, because I would really like
FreedomBox to be usable for schools and local communities. But I thought
the most common use case at the moment is that just one user runs it on
very limited hardware (where PostgreSQL may consume too much RAM). I'd
be very interested to know how common smaller/larger installations are.

Kind regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain